1. GCC Interconnection provides trading between the neighboring GCC Countries at lower cost per kWh, optimized generation excess capacities. Tariffs, taxation and subsidies on export of electricity need to be agreed.
2. Saudi Arabia plays important role in the regional networks and cross border interconnections; there is potential for network inter-connection with Mashreq corridor Egypt, Turkey and onward, to trade electricity particularly in winter.
3. Coordination of Electricity System Operators using CORESO has added value for security of supply among TSOs and improved economic operation of the system.
4. Gaining experience in Synchrophasors technology currently being used in the visualization, analysis, and control of large power systems, based on which more applications will be forthcoming.
5. Intelligent and powerful expert systems is necessary for 3D engineering of high voltage substations, supporting short planning, improving design quality, as well as installation and operation process.
6. A continuous Partial Discharge Monitoring System is more advantageous, indicates the presence of a problem/failure and to confirm that fault had been successfully repaired.
7. Use of disconnecting circuit-breakers (DCB) saves space and equipment, simplifies the substation configuration over conventional circuit-breakers and disconnects and attains savings in environmental impact.
8. Non-destructive test techniques are a tool to assess condition of water treed field aged cables, as guide to classify the aging cables through condition based maintenance.
9. Non-standardized prominent non-destructive techniques to assess condition of water treed field aged cables are used in several countries necessitates a comprehensive test guide for local utilities to classify their aging cables through condition based maintenance.
10. Fault Tree Analysis is a very useful tool in fault location on Transmission overhead line faults and helpful in maintaining / improving response time KPI’s for transmission OHL faults.
11. Take quality assurance precautions against corrosive sulphur phenomena appearing due to the use of DBDS additive in insulating oils in combination with transformers being badly designed or operated at high temperatures.
12. Complete removal of corrosive sulfur in power transformers is possible using on-line reclaiming technique with reactivating sorbent, this is good alternative where metal passivators not suitable or sufficient for the prevention of copper sulphide formation.
13. An innovative environmentally friendly dissolved oxygen and moisture removal system for freely breathing transformers have been presented. The effectiveness of the system has been demonstrated in real life conditions through implementations on in service transformers.
14. An efficient removal of dibenzyle-disulfide (DBDS) & total corrosive sulfur (TCS) reduces the corrosivity of oil, reduces acidity and improves IFT.
15. Integrated IEDs networked via Ethernet connections combined into a LAN with their methods to document and test the virtual wiring have benefit that will replace traditional wiring drawings and end-to-end continuity testing.
16. IEC 61850 is a powerful evolving standard for any utility automation (substation and beyond), the extension of which on communication between substations have impact on line protection and give the option for more advanced functionalities in the future which have been difficult until now.
17. Enhance and optimize dynamic reserve power sharing (DRPS) control system to enable primary reserve sharing as well providing rapid power support to either system as required during any critical loss of generation in any of the individual networks concerning HVDC.
18. A number of grid benefits can be obtained like dynamic voltage control and increased transmission capability, by treating devices within the FACTS family i.e. SVC, STATCOM, and Dynamic energy.
19. Application of Flexible AC Transmission systems (FACTS) and HVDC technology can contribute to the development of the power systems in the regions where power quality, power transfer and the dynamic performance are the issues.
20. Control system disturbances switching transients (i.e., over voltage & inrush current) that adversely reduce electrical equipment life will improve overall system reliability apart from improving the life of the equipment.
21. Installation of both internal & external shields for EHV CTs will effectively help to obtain optimal stress value on CTs.
22. Dielectric Frequency Response Measurements are a good tool to monitor the condition of the equipment insulation to avoid break downs and loss of equipment.
23. By using Fault Current Limiters in the system will overcome problems of high fault current that could causes unwanted tripping, power interruption and also reduces the life of electrical equipment.
24. Diagnostic monitoring of GIS and Transformers is maintenance friendly and improves system operation reliability due to timely predictive maintenance based on monitoring the system.
25. Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) which measure performance, availability, reliability, strength and weakness of the system, are required to be set according to international bench marked target values for major transmission O&M disciplines.
26. Magnetic field measurement in HV and LV substations in residential areas indicate permitted safe values as per regulations.
27. Select number of locations in the network to monitor Voltage Quality – harmonics, flicker, voltage unbalance, voltage dip and outlines the planning approach to meet the ultimate development vision for Power system.
28. Splitting bus bars is an effective method to reduce fault currents within equipment short-circuits rating.
29. Voltage stability Analysis carried out using fast voltage stability index and Line stability index are capable to determine the most critical or weakest bus in the system.
30. Long terms power system expansion must consider the effect of generation extension on the short circuit values in order to determining measures and mitigate the short circuit levels.
31. Numerical technology combined with the standard IEC 61850 opens the way for optimization of the protection and it is important to get open systems for future evolutions (e.g. introduction of the process bus).
32. Power swing influence on the performance of distance protection relay; dynamic power swing simulation reveals that long duration 3-phase faults on high voltage power system could lead to the activation of power swing function. There is need for accurate dynamic modeling of distance protection relay to keep the stability of power systems during power swing conditions.
33. The use of Phasor Measurement Units may contribute positively in discrimination of the true fault side and location to maintain a more reliable power system.
34. Flicker and inter-harmonic problems are caused by Steel Plant and SVC installation at the plant will mitigate the associated power quality problem.
35. SCADA Cyber Security encourages utilities to keep their system isolated from the internet to avoid hackers accessing their system.
36. State Estimation (SE) is a key Energy Management System Function (EMS) for real time control and operation of power system where conventional SE has inherent biases resulting from system operational imbalance and system model asymmetries.
37. Installation of active shield wires and passive shield wires underneath EHV Lines 220 kV and 500 kV, reduces the effects of induced electric fields on the inhabitants in the vicinity of EHV lines.
38. Assess voltage stability of power system considering impact of load behavior on the voltage stability of the system via technique for load modeling of down stream distribution system, AC rotating load and embedded under-voltage load shedding.
39. Virtual Power Plant (VPP) concept is introduced to aggregate and control distributed resources located on distribution network, bringing the system services at the boundary of transmission network.
40. Integration of large scale wind power plants into power system is very important and environment friendly, requires grid codes, a control and protection philosophy, real time wide area monitoring via fast and robust communication system.
41. More consideration to be given to Solar energy applications including research that can demonstrate practical applications.