GCC POWER 2016
Doha – State of Qatar
8th – 10th November 2016
Conference Recommendations & Highlights
1. The GCC countries need to employ, not only Energy Efficiency strategies and policies, but also implementable programs and pragmatic plans for turning those strategies into reality. Creation of national entities that focus on and specializes in Energy efficiency programs could be an effective approach.
2. The GCC countries’ huge potential for renewable energy, particularly solar energy, needs to be harnessed through more renewable energy projects that can utilize the GCC Interconnector to exchange and trade energy, with due consideration to promising Energy Storage technologies such as Pumped Hydro Storage.
3. It is recommended to use Flexible AC Transmission System (FACTS) such as Static VAr Compensator (SVC) devices in GCC networks for dynamic voltage support and to enhance system stability.
4. It is recommended to continue exchange information about experiences in the use of different type of insulators under different environmental conditions in the GCC area.
5. It is recommended that GCC countries implement Intelligent Network systems such as WAMS and asset monitoring to optimize the network management and enhance system reliability.
6. It is recommended to consider on-line monitoring to foresee possibility of failures on transformers bushings at an early stage thus avoiding catastrophic transformer failures.
7. It is recommended to implement intelligent data collection systems for power system protection coordination to ensure high reliability data repository of the power system.